Do you ever feel like you’re just going through the motions, each day blending into the next? Maybe you can’t pinpoint what’s wrong but every time something good happens to you, it feels a little less fulfilling than before. You’re not alone..
- It’s time to slow down and take a look at your life. You may not even realize how unhappy you are until this happens, but I can tell you from experience: it’s never too late for happiness!
- Start by looking in the mirror each morning and telling yourself that today is going to be different than any other day so far.
- Pay attention to the little things that make you happy, like how your morning coffee tastes or watching a show on TV and not giving yourself guilt about it.
- The next time you find yourself complaining about something, stop and think: is there anything I could have done to change it?
- Write down your thoughts. This will help you go through them one by one each day until they eventually disappear like a bad memory.
- Be honest with others – if you’re not having a good day, let people know! They can be very helpful in cheering you up or helping make things better for the future.
Sometimes you need someone else to help cheer you up; if not your friends, maybe even strangers on social media who are looking out for you. But if that doesn’t work, just give it time and you’ll find your own happiness again.
Is meditation good for happiness?
Yes. Meditation is one of the most effective ways to find true happiness because it trains your brain to focus on being happy instead of focusing on negative thoughts.
What are some other things that can help you be happier?
- Volunteering – doing something for someone else makes them feel good and, in turn, will make you feel great too!
- Cleaning up or organizing your home – this helps give people a sense of accomplishment which they then take into their day with an improved mood! And if there’s nothing around at all, just cleaning up a little bit every time you get bored during downtime has been shown to release endorphins like how exercise does and is regarded as a huge step in how to find true happiness.
- Exercise often; even taking the stairs rather than the elevator can improve your mood and energy!
- Avoiding substances that are bad for you, such as cigarettes or alcohol.
- Talk to someone about how you’re feeling – sometimes it’s hard to put feelings into words but being able to talk things through with a close friend or family member has been proven time and again to be one of the most effective ways of dealing with problems.
How does this help me find true happiness?
Besides the fact that we live in an incredibly fast paced world where finding any real sense of peace is awfully difficult, there are many other factors at play when it comes down to what makes us happy: our relationships, beliefs, goals, values…the list goes on and on! And while some of these factors are out of our control, there are ways for you to work on the ones that can be changed – and then find true happiness.
So what do I need to know in order to find my own sense of peace and thus achieve a state of happiness?
- What is important to me? Write down your values or beliefs if they don’t come easily; this includes things like religion or politics as well.
- How am I feeling right now? Take time every day (or at least once a week) to take an emotional and mental inventory.
- What are my goals for this week or the next month? Making a plan can help you accomplish your tasks in life, which makes it easier to find happiness.
- How am I choosing to spend my time? Reflect on how much of it is spent watching TV, scrolling through social media feeds, playing games online, etcetera.
- Am I smoking cigarettes, drinking too many beers every night at home alone after work (or during lunch), not getting enough exercise outside of my daily routine…?
- What do I want out of life? What will make me happy? Sometimes it’s hard to answer this question because we’re often so caught up living in the present that we have no idea why we might be unhappy or even what would make us truly happy.
- Why are my goals important and how does achieving them contribute towards happiness? Setting realistic goals is crucial for finding true happiness. Goals give you something tangible at which to work on attaining your dreams and they’ll also help you find a sense of purpose as well as become more fulfilled with yourself along the way too!
After reading this blog post, you might come to the conclusion that it’s time for a change. We all have an innate desire to be happy but sometimes we can’t see how our current behavior is making us unhappy or preventing us from finding joy.
And with that in mind, I’m going to take a nap..